Saturday, October 28, 2006

Two weird experiences... and it's only 4 pm!

In exercising my duties as a helpful citizen and accidental tourist guide in Hong Kong, I've experienced two unexpectedly, pleasantly weird situations today. Both involved helping some poor schmuck (and schmuck-ess) at the MTR and the Mall.

WEIRD EXPERIENCE 1:

While waiting for the MTR going back home, a tall African woman approached me asking if I could direct her to Tsim Sha Tsui. Being a Kowloon kid, I immediately sprung into action and told her to ride on the blue line going to Sheung Wan, go down at Admiralty, change trains and ride the red line going to Tsuen Wan and alight at Tsim Sha Tsui.

After that brief explanation, she looked at me with those glassy eyes that screamed: "WTF DID YOU JUST SAY?" I explained again, and again she looked like she didn't understand me. Then I did the best thing given the situation. I told her:

"I'll just bring you there."

Since it's just a station away from where I live, I decided to be a good tourist guide and really take her to her destination. We got on the train and I pointed to her where we're going, where we're changing trains and where she's supposed to get off. Once at Admiralty, we took the red train and I explained that we were actually under the harbour. Throughout my lecture, she had this big smile while nodding. (Which often means: "WTF DID YOU JUST SAY?")

When we got to Tsim Sha Tsui, I told her that it was her stop. She looked at me, smiled, then suddenly bear-hugged me and pressed her cheek against mine. Then she said "Thank You" and got off the train. But before she walked away, she looked back and winked at me. At that point, I could only say: "Uhm... take care!"

I reckon that was some "African Thank You Ritual" (not!). It was weird, yes, but it was kinda amusing being hugged by a total stranger.

WEIRD EXPERIENCE 2:

Lunch time, and I decided to go to the Food Forum at City Super and order my usual Sweet and Sour fish. As it is required before each meal, I went to the restroom to wash my hands. While I was doing so, there was this really old Chinese man who was having difficulty operating the faucet. It was one of those motion operated faucets, and he just couldn't get it to work.

I noticed that he was watching me and trying to imitate what i was doing. But to no avail.

So, what I did was I went to his sink, put my hand under the faucet, and the water started to flow. The old man began washing his hands and soaping it. Before he could rinse, the water stopped. Ergo, I had to put my hand under the faucet again. I did, and the water flowed, and he rinsed.

Now the weird part. Since my hand was still within the vicinity of the sink, he suddenly grabbed my two hands and started washing them!

It was a classic grandfather/grandson moment, something Norman Rockwell would paint or a Life photographer would shoot. The trouble is, he wasn't my grandfather and I wasn't his grandson. He was an old Chinese tourist, and I was just a stranger trying to help.

After "we" washed our hands, he got a paper towel and started patting my hands dry. And as he left, all I could say was: "Xiexie".

Whoa! Two weird experiences and still so early. I'll probably go straight home after this. I think I've had my crazy people quota today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lest, That was nice story then, it was kindda weird that these people are very well please that you help then in a way. as show of gratitude that give you hug, they wash your hands, and yet this are small things that people appreciate you. so i may say as well thanks you for being a friend, and ur always be a friend to me buddy!Muchas gracias por todo, y te agradezco muchos. besos y abrazos.
FELICIDADES!!