Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Anak ng Petula


A few years after watching it on the big screen, I got a DVD copy of Girl, Interrupted last night and watched it at home. Aside from Angelina Jolie's Oscar winning performance, one thing about this film that stuck to my subconscious is Petula Clark's song: Downtown.

I've been hearing this song as a kid. If i'm not mistaken, my Dad had a cassette tape of Petula Clark and this ditty would often pervade in the air during Sundays. Hearing it would conjure up images of happy families in the 60s, going down the tree lined boulevards in the U.S. on a weekend.

But after Girl, Interrupted, the song now feels a bit more dark and haunting. Maybe it's because the song was playing in that scene where Brittany Murphy finally kills herself, or maybe its because there's an eerie calmness to Petula Clark's voice. It's the type of voice that would put you in a trance and make you do whatever she wishes.

Whatever the reason is, I now find myself hooked to this song. I've actually been listening to it since this morning, and i've probably heard it more than 50 times already. It's insane!

Then again, Brittany Murphy was insane in the movie, too.

Scary...

No comments: