Monday, October 02, 2006

Top Shopping

What’s a guy to do during a long weekend? If I were in Barcelona, I’d probably hang out at Parc Gruell and just marvel at Antonio Gaudi’s insane vision. If I were in Amsterdam, I’ll probably sit in front of Damrak and watch people pass by. If I were in Manila, I’d probably be playing with Javier and hanging out with my siblings.

But I’m in Hong Kong. And if it’s a long weekend here, I shop.

I’ve actually told myself to stop buying any new piece of clothing because my closet is already packed to capacity. Thankfully, I’ve got two sisters back home who are bigger clotheshorses than myself. So today, I’ve shopped for them.

Maple – my favorite source of all things funky – has brought out the all-important, 4-letter word: SALE! Quickly, I swooped in, rummaged around like the proverbial kid in the candy store, and walked out with 11 new tops!



Choosing was a very difficult task, especially since there were more than 200 fabulous tops to choose from. But I had to restrain myself, and was also careful not to spoil my sisters too much. So I decided to buy a few key pieces that would fit this season and last to the next.


Black. Any fashion editor will tell you that black will always be timeless and is solace for people who suffer from the “I don’t know what to wear” syndrome. My sisters, though, love things with a bit of quirk. So, I ended up buying these two black tops: one with a nautical twist, and the other with an embedded pearl choker.


Lace. Romance has been on magazines the past year or so, and it doesn’t show any sign of going away. What best captures romance than lace? No frou-frou lace thingies, though. These tops have stretch lace that gives the body shape, and see through details that give it an edge.


Crafts. Although crochet reminds me of my Mom whenever she’s upset (she crochets glass holders whenever she’s stressed out), combining it with jersey makes for a very easygoing and slightly bohemian top.


Quirks. These tops definitely march to their own drumbeat. One has combines lace with knits and tops if off with a belt made of metal and lace. The other is a soft, eyelet bustier that’s a cross between innocent and vampy. And the other one reminds me of a funky schoolmistress.

Looking at the fruits of my hour-long spree, I could already envision the big smiles that my sisters will have when I come home. But the best part of this spree is that this whole loot cost me less than $500! And for Hong Kong, that’s quite a steal.


Ugh! I feel the urge to go back to Maple tomorrow! Must stop myself.

Must stop myself.

Must stop myself.

No comments: