Tuesday, October 17, 2006

She Banks!


This will sound really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY strange, but the more I watch America's Next Top Model, the more I realize how full of practical wisdom Tyra Banks is.

When I first caught ANTM Cycle 1 some eons back, I thought it would be a flash in the pan and it was just another model's way of holding on to the fame she has. But after following Cycles 5 and 6, I've come to conclude that Tyra does know her stuff. And she really knows her modeling tricks of the trade.

In the last 3 episodes of Cycle 6, she was teaching Danielle and Jade how a little twitch can actually change the texture and overall feel of a model's photograph. She taught them how to smile with your eyes without moving your lips. She taught them how closing the legs a bit can turn a "man's magazine pose" to a "elle girl magazine pose." She even taught them how a squint can soften a person's features.

And the amazing thing is, all her tips work. I was flabbergasted at how Tyra did look softer and friendlier when she squinted her eyes. When she smiled with her eyes, I did feel it, and yes, she didn't even move her lips. It's really impressive. All those years of modeling did make Tyra more than a supermodel, she's a supermodel mentor!

Now I have no doubts whatsoever that she's the best person to host ANTM. And I also have no doubts whatsoever that I'm going to be glued every Sunday at 8:30 to watch ANTM Cycle 7.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Tyra in ANTM. I like her, too, in her talk show, but sometimes, the constant fluttering of her eyelashes irritates me. :-) But she knows her stuff, I agree totally. Did you see that episode where she screamed at Tiffany, the african-american contestant? Yowza!