Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Onion Skinned

Once on the tram, a Filipina I talked to remarked that: "parang ang pino ng balat mo." I guess she said that because: 1.) I have fair colored skin, 2.) you can actually see the veins under my skin. Given that description, i'd imagine how thin my skin could actually be. This is particularly true around the leg area where my skin is whiter.

Today, I realized how thin my skin might be. This afternoon, I bumped my leg on my desk as I was rushing to get something. Then, later in the day, my colleague accidentally hit my shoulder with a book he was carrying.

When I was changing my clothes tonight, I noticed that I had two bruises: one on the leg where it hit the desk, and one on my shoulder where the book landed. The strange thing was, the impact of those two accidents were so, SO minimal. It was just like somebody brushing me a bit vigorously. But the bruises it left were actually a bit big.

The one on my leg is this bright red 3-inch gash, and the one on my shoulder is a pinkish-red, 2-inch, V-shaped welt. I should be more careful next time lest I want to look like I was flagellated by someone. Ugh.

Well, at least when someone remarks that i'm onion-skinned, I have bruises to prove it.

No comments: