Monday, October 01, 2012

Where did they go?

Last Sunday, I was able to catch some old films on HBO. Some from the 90s, others from the early 2000s. But what struck me from watching these films was the fact that there were a lot of big stars from that era that I don't see on the screen - both big and small - anymore.

Among them are three of my favorite actresses when I was back in college:

1. Natascha McElhone


She was the leading lady who wasn't the leading lady archetype. She often played very strong characters, whether it's a defiant TV extra in "Truman Show" or a kick-ass agent in "Ronin."

2. Heather Matarazzo


What's not to love about her. She's quirky, she's funny, she gets into her character and gets lost in it - she's the perfect actress. Whether she's a victim of child abuse in "The Devil's Advocate" or the perky best friend in "The Princess Diaries," I can't help but cheer her character on.

3. Susan May Pratt


She was such a big fixture in films during the 90s, and she'd often be cast as the aloof, talented and devil-may-care character. That was her role in "Ten Things I Hate About You," "Centerstage," and "Drive Me Crazy." And she handled those roles perfectly. She was the girl you wanted to hate, but couldn't because she was so lovable. In an irritating way, that is.

After that flashback, I had to go to imdb to check out what they're doing right now. Unfortunately, they don't have any big screen outings soon, but I hope producers give them big screen time really soon. 

Brilliant talents like them shouldn't be let go.

No comments: