Saturday, October 20, 2012

"That's a wrap!"

In broadcast production, the entire cast and crew wait in baited breath until the director shouts these 3 words.
"That's a wrap" means that the production has successfully reached its end, everyone in the production staff is happy, and that everyone is confident that they have a great production in their hands.

Today, this is what happened in school. After 4 months of lectures, hands-on demos and shoots, my Audio-Visual Production class showcased their short films. I asked each group to conceptualize, write, shoot and edit a story based on the theme "Relationships in the time of technology," and each one had a different take on the subject.

As the class laughed, swooned and shrieked while watching each film, I couldn't help but feel proud for my students. I've seen how far they've gone and how much they've absorbed about the subject. Their sense of storytelling and grasp of production values were really showcased this afternoon. I couldn't ask for a better set of students for my AVP class.

The future storytellers and directors of the Philippines

Seeing my students succeed is reward enough for teaching. But there are days when I get an extra sweet reward from my students, such as this box that they gave me after class.


They were telling me to handle it with care and take extra precaution in moving the box around. When I opened it, I knew why they were so finicky about it.


Yes, it's a sweet message made of sweet donuts!

It was definitely a great way to wrap up the first semester.

No comments: