Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Wat's the plan?

One of the things that I try to do is visit a new country every year. It's something that I wasn't able to do last year. My school and work schedules went into overdrive, so it was difficult to plan for that trip. Another reason is that the place I was thinking of visiting - Taipei - had a visa requirement.

On the second day of 2013, I'm already thinking of a new place to visit. Some of my travel plans have already been earmarked, including trips to Japan, Singapore, and maybe Seoul (if my students insist on it.) But in terms of a new place, I'm thinking of somewhere that's near the Philippines, has no visa requirement, and is rich in culture.

These requirements point me to Cambodia. Actually, Mark mentioned Cambodia and Laos a few days ago, and that revived my interest in this destination.


Truth is, I was supposed to go to Cambodia last year. There was an interesting offer, but it fell through. But while that offer was being formulated, I immediately went on hyperdrive and researched as much as I can about Phnom Pehn and Siam Reap.

Of course, the most common hit a person will get is "Angkor Wat." It's one of the most visited sites in Cambodia, and was popularized by Angelina Jolie in "Tomb Raider." I have friends who have been to Angkor Wat, and the reviews are mixed. Some of them say that it's breathtaking, while others say it's a tourist trap.

The city itself looks a bit rustic and chaotic. They don't have major malls, not too many noteworthy places to visit. The highlight is supposedly the river, which is their version of the River Seine. Again, a couple of friends say that the city has charm, while others say that it's just meh.

Because the reviews are mixed, I'll do what any travel book will tell suggest: the best way to find out is to actually go there.

This year, that's what I'm planning to do.

No comments: