Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Seeing double

Two weekends ago, I felt pain on my left shoulder and neck area. So, when I went to Watson's, I hurriedly went over to the area that sold plasters so that I could buy my go-to-plaster whenever muscle pain strikes. That's Salonpas, of course.


Imagine my surprise when I got home. I brought out the contents of the bag and realized that I only thought I got Salonpas. It turns out that the product I picked up and bought is Mentopas.


The way the package was designed - from the logos to the colors to the layout of the pack - it was so similar that it felt like the same thing from afar. And if you're on autopilot, like me, then you'd think you're picking up Salonpas when you're actually buying the competition. Wise move indeed.

It's the same thing that's happening to 2 new shampoos in the market. They're both positioned as salon-caliber shampoos, and their packaging looks so much alike.



Notice how both products have black and white bottles, with touches of fuchsia on the label. It's enough to make you feel like you're seeing double. Again, if you're in a hurry and just grab items from the shelves, chances are, you'll be buying Syoss just when you thought  you were grabbing Tresemme.

All these product look-alikes are enough to leave consumers confused.

But I think that's what they're supposed to do.

No comments: