Sunday, January 20, 2013

Praise hymn

Music has always been a big part of my life. Growing up with parents who were very much into music gave me a better appreciation of songs from different genres. This helped me become more eclectic in my choice of music.

My iPod playlist has a hodge-podge of songs. I even have an album called "Taylor made" because it has James Taylor, Taylor Dane, and Taylor swift in one playlist. Yes, there's a Taylor who's old, not-so-old, and very young. And I like them all.

There's another genre I like listening to, although I'm not sure if it's classified as a genre. I'm talking about Church hymns.

As a kid, the whole family would hear mass and I'd enjoy singing along with the opening, communion and recessional hymns. Whenever the choir would sing "Sing a new song unto the Lord," and "One God," you can expect me to sing at the top of my lungs. This eventually led me to join the choir at St. Paul's church, and our school choir in Lourdes.

Even now, I enjoy listening to choirs while they sing church hymns at mass. And it's nice to hear the "old reliables" being sung up until now. Some old reliables give me a feeling of elation (Shine, Jesus, Shine,) while some never fail to leave my eyes welling with tears. (Anima Christi.)

While hearing mass this week, the choir sang a song which I thought was familiar. The first bars sounded like "Here I am, Lord." But as they started singing the lyrics, it turned out to be a new song - for me, at least. The song was entitled: "People need the Lord."



By the end of the song, I was filled with different emotions. The song was beautiful! It was poignant, moving and hopeful at the same time. The lyrics were well written and the melody matched it beautifully.

A praise-worthy song indeed.

No comments: