Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Wedding Banquet



I've been invited to a Chinese Wedding Banquet next month, and this will be my first time to attend one in HK. The last Chinese wedding I attended was way back in 1997 in Shunde. That was an unforgettable wedding because of the strong wine, and the very, VERY exotic food they served. (Snake, Boar and Eel, anyone?)

Their invite is simple and classic, which often results in something elegant. The silver stamping goes well with the matte silver paper. The envelope has their initials embossed. It's a good example of restraint that a lot of couples should practice.



When I opened the invite, there was something familiar and peculiar. There was a small envelope inside, which reminded me of a lai see. And as it turns out, IT WAS a lai-see.



My colleague explained to me that it was customary for the couple to give the guest a small token. This is their way of sharing all the blessings that were given to them as a couple. While talking to Mark, it turns out that this is also a common practice in Manila. His Kuya Patrick attended one such wedding where they were given money as token, too.



We then got into a discussion on how I could get a job as a "professional wedding guest" and live off all the tokens that come with the wedding invite. Then again, the token might just be enough to cover transportation, so that really won't be a profitable venture. Hahaha.

It would've been uber interesting to attend this wedding banquet. But it falls on the same day as Friendster Maya's wedding, so I'll be in Manila attending that.

I hope someone gets married again sometime soon.

No comments: