Monday, June 11, 2007

Original Pilipino Monday

Tomorrow is Philippine Independence Day! Mabuhay ang Pilipinas! Ever since the celebration of the Philippine Independence Centennial in 1998, I've been watching the parades, pomp and pageantry that usually accompanies this day. (Albeit vicariously since I only watch it on TV. Although I did go to Luneta during the Centennial - now THAT was a celebration.) Last week, I asked Ron if there were any programs or parades in Hong Kong, and he said that there was one last June 2.

How's that for an early celebration.

Anyway, I decided to do my own celebration by indulging in all things Pinoy today. And that included lunch at my favourite Pinoy fast food icon - Jollibee!

So it was off to Central this lunch time so I could "Bee Happy" this afternoon. Thankfully, Jollibee wasn't as full today, and getting a seat was easy. Lunch consisted of Palabok, Choco-Mallow Pie and Iced Tea. I must say, Choco-Mallow Pie is the all-time, best ever, super duper perfect dessert that they've come up with. I just hope it'll stay in their menu forever and ever.

But there's one product in the Manila menu that hasn't reached our shores yet - Nacho Cheesy Fries! Gosh, just looking at the poster made my mouth water. I'm definitely going to try this on my next trip to Manila. I just remembered that during my last trip home 2 weeks ago, I wasn't able to eat even one meal at Jollibee! Mom is in town and she was never a big fan of fast food. It's always "proper dining" with her, and all my meals during that trip consisted of sitting down in a "proper" restaurant with real plates and silverware. *Sigh* I miss the plastic basket, spoon and fork at Jollibee. Hahaha.

(Oh. While I was eating, I overheard the two ladies beside me talking about me. They said: "Ok din itong puting ito, mahilig sa Palabok...")

Another Pinoy thing that I've been indulging myself in today is music. Thanks to Mark, I discovered this site that has loads and loads and loads and loads of Filipino music from both past and present. As I was going through the play list, I was amazed at how they were able to compile songs from as far back as the 70s!

They had everything in that site. From the camp classics like "Bituing Walang Ningning" and "Sayang na Sayang" to jukebox favourites like "Suwerte Suwerte Lang" and "Magsimula Ka."

But this is what amazed me. When I was younger, there was this song I loved listening to, but never remembered the title nor the artist. All I could remember was part of the lyrics:

Hello Joe, Goodbye. I never thought I'd see you go, Hello, Goodbye. It wasn't really hard to know, we'd have to throw our memories behind and start anew. Until then, will I say Goodbye Joe, Hello.


This song was in their selection!!! And now I finally know the title. It's "Desire." Getting to listen to it after a decade makes poring through the 1000+ long play list well worth it.

Another song that I had fun listening to again was the original version of "Umagang Kay Ganda." This song is one of the best written songs in my book. Listening and analyzing the lyrics, its theme is similar to "Happy Together." Maybe that's why I like it so much. Plus, this song is memorable because I had to sing it in one of our high school programs. After all, singing is very much part of being a Filipino.

Ah yes, the joys of being Pinoy.

3 comments:

ron cruz said...

that nacho fries? they really look good on pictures, but lets just say, there nothing so special about it. but i must admit, eating inside a MSG and LDL(low-density lipoprotein) loaded store is one helluva true pinoy experience!

Dazed and Confused said...

Agree. Jollibee isn't about the food but the experience! Gosh, my friend and I were just talking about HDL and LDL two weeks ago, and there's that word again. Hahaha.

Gin said...

Thank you so much! I had the same problem. I never knew the title was Desire til I discovered your post. Thanks for pointing me over to the tambayan site :)