Saturday, June 02, 2007

Good enough

Just a week ago, Mark and I were talking about this 80s film entitled: "The Goonies." As it turns out, it was one of the films he liked as a kid. Initially, he couldn't remember the title, only the characters and situations. His recollections were quite specific: a group of kids, pirates, hidden treasure, and a Spanish nanny. Given those 4 clues, I immediately knew that it was indeed "The Goonies."

Like Mark, this was also a favourite film of mine as a kid. (Despite his insistence that we're very different people, we have the same favourite film.) I've always been drawn to adventure films: ones involving pirates, booby traps, hidden treasures and an old dilapitated map. In fact, when we were kids, we'd play "Treasure Hunt" at home. I'd hide candies and toys in one of the rooms in our old house in Morato, then make maps with clues as to where the treasure was. Then, my siblings would be the treasure hunters and try to get as much loot as they could.

Biboy would often be the winner. He was really good at this game. Maybe he was a pirate in his past life.

Aside from the film's genre, another reason why I loved "The Goonies" was because of Cyndi Lauper. She was my all-time favourite 80s female singer and she sang the film's theme song: "The Goonies R Good Enough." I'm trying to remember if she made a cameo appearance in the film. From what I remember, she did. But when Mark and I googled the film's cast, she wasn't there. Maybe it was an uncredited appearance.

Thanks to the magic of youtube, I was able to find the video of "The Goonies R Good Enough." I've forgotten how fun the video was until I saw this. Aside from Cyndi, it featured her posse of WWF wrestlers. (Cyndi and Captain Lou Albano were tight.) This sketch features Rowdy Roddy Piper, Captain Lou among others. I'm sure Erwin would have a blast watching this clip, it's really a blast from the past.

Here's to pirates, hidden treasures, Cyndi Lauper, and things I share with Mark.

No comments: