Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Eye for Detail

While I was browsing my nephew Carl's website, I stumbled upon some of his artwork. He posted some of his current doodles, and I was pleasantly surprised to see how good he is at art. Before he flew to the US, he was more inclined to pursue music and so I didn't know he was in anyway interested in art and graphic design. But judging by these pieces he did, he's definitely got an artistic inclination.

This is a piece that takes elements from the Philippine flag and he abstracts them a bit. The entire piece has this surreal abstraction, but it also has flow and form. I can almost imagine the figures below as people carrying the flags during a parade. The details are impressive for someone his age.



Another piece he did was this play on shapes and colours. More than the shape, I like how he combines colours in this artwork. Carl plays with dark shades like black and gray, and integrates vivid colours like purple and ochre. The combination is so easy on the eye.



I've always been a fan of geometric shapes formed into emblems, and like to stare at design elements that combine these shapes. That's why I'm a big fan of hotel lobbies as they usually have a big design focal point on the floor or ceiling. This artwork that Carl did can easily be translated into a tile and put in as part of a house or hotel. Not only does the shape attract me, the colours captured my eyes again.



This is really good work for a 15-year old. Ate Lissa tells me that Carl's art teacher in Georgia wrote Biboy commending Carl's work. It's good to know that his work is appreciated, because it's really, really good. Design and art is all about details, and he has a good eye for that.

Looks like Carl will be the next advertising person in the family.

No comments: