Sunday, May 28, 2006

Summer out there

A number of companies in Manila have decided to hold their summer outing out of the country rather than in it. Almost a month ago, the law firm where Mona works had their outing in Macau. This weekend, GASSO is in town for their 2nd outing in HK in 3 years. (Last year, they went to Vietnam.) This is good because a lot of my former colleagues and good friends from Adformatix are now with this agency, ergo, I get to hang out with them here.

Last Friday, I was able to meet up with Lisa and Fiesta and we all went to Temple Street market to do surveillance shopping work. Since they went to Shenzhen on Saturday, they held off shopping until they were sure that things are cheaper here than there. We had a sushi/maki midnight snack in their hotel room which was the best fun I had in a while.

Saturday was a funny day. I woke up at around 3pm and remembered that my brother wanted me to buy something for him in Mongkok. Since it was just a 15 minute walk away, I didn't see the need to dress up, so off I went wearing my most pambahay outfit. That meant walking along Nathan Road wearing denim shorts, an old white t-shirt, brown crocs and a track jacket. While walking, I was surprised to see Shash, Melvin and the kids walking along Nathan, too. Needless to say, there were wide eyes and open mouths, and loud "Look who's here" soundbytes all around.

Of course, the first thing that Shash mentioned was: Lester, you look so bagong gising! You're still in your pambahay. Darn! That'll do major damage to my fashionmeister image. Harhar! But I explained to her that it was the look of the moment, some sort of "unkempt cool." Besides, the weather was rainy and gloomy anyway. And the best thing to wear during rainy days are shorts and crocs.

Then today, Fiesta, Lisa, Arnie and I went shopping again. They had to go to Ikea, Sasa and Toys R Us, and I was more than happy to accompany them. The heavy rains didn't dampen our spirit, although it dampened our shoes and pants a lot. (Specially Arnie and me because this car splashed water all over our legs. HARRUMPH!) At that time, we were also worried about Shash and her family since they were at Ocean Park, and it's hard to enjoy Ocean Park in this weather.

Mid-afternoon, we had to bring Lisa and company to the ferry terminal for their trip to Macau. Fiesta and I stayed behind and raided more of the shops. Again, it was stellar how we were able to hang out and catch up after months of not doing so. We used to do this so often in Makati and Cubao, and i've forgotten how fun it was to just walk, talk and shop. Coffee was the day's wrap-up, then I had to bring Fiesta back to the hotel.

The past two weekends were excellent because of family and friends flying to HK. I wish more companies in Manila will have their summer outing here so i'll have more great weekends to look forward to.

No comments: