Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Mag-netized

Since I was a young 'un (as Kuya Nips would say), reading was one thing i'd often be caught doing. Mom said that she would usually see me lying on my stomach on the floor with a newspaper sprawled out for me to read. And my choice of sections as a boy? The Classifieds!

Thus, i've always preferred reading over watching television. Needless to say, there's no TV at my flat (well, not yet), but magazines certainly abound. I remember Joe asking me why I haven't bought a new TV set yet, and my reply was: "I don't need anything that's expensive." Her reply gave me something to think about. She said: "If you add together everything you spend for your magazines and books, you could have bought 2 TV sets already."

The girl's got a point, eh?

But no, i'd rather drop by Page One or Dymocks or HMV to get the latest issues of Wallpaper, Esquire, In Style, Vanity Fair and Entertainment Weekly. And that's exactly what I did en route home tonight.

Upon reaching the flat, I immediately opened my new acquisition, which is British Tatler. The reason I bought it was because Nicole Richie was on the cover, and with all due respect to Paris Hilton, I think Nicole is way hotter than her.

I started browsing as I maneuvered around my small flat, then something caught my attention. It was so funny and unusual that the instinctive thing to do was to get my camera and take shots of it.



The living room is where most of the magazines are stashed. With the absence of a TV set, this is the diversion I offer guests who decide to drop by and say hello. The current issues are usually on the table, along with the books I keep on reading.



Underneath the table are back issues that are arranged by month (how OC) just so I can easily refer to them if there's an article that needs to be unearthed and rechecked.



Going further down the flat, I noticed this in the kitchen. Yup, it's a copy of HK Magazine, which is an expat's best friend. Toasting bread can take at least 5 minutes, so I usually bring a magazine to read while waiting. I remember reading this magazine this morning, though I never recall leaving it there. (Until now.)



Of course, most homes usually have magazines in the loo. That, along with ash trays, are two of the most indispensible bathroom accessories.



During nights I find it difficult to sleep, a good magazine does what Nyquil or Dormicum are supposed to. That's why often, there's a couple of magazines on my bed to browse. In the morning, these magazines also provide me something to do on weekends when the urge to just laze around in bed kicks in.



Then there's the magazine on my right side table. These aren't to be mixed with the magazines on the bed. The RSTMs (Right Side Table Magazines) are usually reference magazines rather than leisurely reading ones. Often, there's something there that piqued my attention, so it's kept within arm's reach. But that article isn't so important, that's why it's at the side of my bed rather than on it.



My left side table, who can forget that? Unfortunately, that table is also home to my wallet, mobile phones, watches, and coin bowl, which pretty much means it's full. But wait, there are magazines on top of the lamp. Honestly, I remember reading those, but can't recall putting them there. Now, i'm trying to remember when and why they're there. But then again, i'm impressed at how well-placed they are, ergo, they don't fall.

Yes, i'm a magazine freak indeed. As these snaps attest, my days - weekends in particular - are spent walking around the flat, reading a magazine, then leaving it in one place, only to pick up another magazine, walk around reading it, leave it in one place, only to pick up another magazine, walk around reading it, leave it in one place, only to pick up another magazine.

Now where did I put that new issue...

2 comments:

Ed said...

That was the probably the worst issue of HK Magazine. I'm glad I left before it was published!

Dazed and Confused said...

Definitely agree with you on that one. Good thing "This Week in reality" was as funny and interesting as ever. I'd call that the saving grace of this issue.