Monday, May 29, 2006

I’m no longer a virgin…

It all started after reading the May issue of the British magazine “Company.” I read a very interesting article entitled: “Help! I’m an on-line shopping virgin.” It talked about how 4 people were afraid of browsing and buying from the internet, and how the magazine helped them overcome their fears. By the end of the article, they were all happy-camper-on-line-shoppers.

Admittedly, I’ve long been an on-line window shopper. Whenever there’s idle time, you can find me logging on to my favorite clothing websites. My must-visits include bluefly.com, abercombie.com, ae.com, topman.com, gap.com, zara.com, oldnavy.com, luckybrandjeans.com and dsquared.com. My participation was limited to just checking things out because these companies rarely deliver to Manila. Thus, as much as I would have wanted to get that Bobby-style, Dark Indigo wash pair of jeans from True Religion, it just wasn’t possible.

The articles on on-line shopping – which comprised half of the magazine – inspired me to check out whether my favorite sites delivered to HK. Then, it hit me. American Eagle Outfitters accepts orders and delivers from here.

Yes!

Immediately, there was an itch to lose my internet shopping virginity. So like a madman, I clicked on every section of the Men’s department of ae.com and imagined I was back in North Point Mall in Georgia picking away from racks and racks of shirts, jeans and everything else in between.

In a span of 30 minutes, my shopping cart was burgeoning with more than 20 items ranging from jeans, graphic Ts, shoes, flip-flops and accessories. Then, the pragmatist in me asked to scale down my purchase since it was my first time. Being so, I’m not 100% sure of how reliable the delivery system is and whether the stuff I chose will actually fit me. (These were the top 2 problems of on-line shopping virgins, so I know I was on the right track.)

After a grueling process of elimination, the contents of my shopping cart was whittled down to a bare minimum. One last check, and it was time to pay. A few minutes after submitting my credit card details, my order was placed, and an email message was sent to me saying that it would arrive by post between 5 to 14 working days.

Today, I got this in the mail:


Wow! Only 5 working days after placing my order, the package from American Eagle was on my desk! Not wanting to come across as a shopping lunatic, I contained my excitement and decided to open the package upon arriving home. My worry was the sight of the clothes I ordered would leave me jumping around like a kid during Christmas.

Got home at around 8pm, held my breath and hurriedly opened the box. Even though the corrugated box was small, the sigh I let out after opening the box was as big as Texas.


There it was! My order. My babies. The newest addition to my clothes collection. It’s here. It’s with me. Just touching the receipt made me all giddy. Yes, I’m such a shallow person.

From my original 20 items, the list was whittled down to 7 key pieces. Things that would easily be integrated into my current sartorial roster. These included 5 graphic Ts:


These were all in XS since the ae shirts that my siblings sent fit perfectly. Then of course, a pair of low-rise, dark clay wash jeans. This is probably pair number 55 in HK.



Then the belt: the brown, deconstructed, studded belt. It was made of soft leather and the studs were gold and silver. This belt is sure to put the funk in punk.



After relishing each and every item, I realized one little hitch. The St. Pat’s graphic T was the same shirt that my brother sent me last week. Thus, I’ve got two of the same shirt now.


Oh well, then one shirt will be for Manila and the other for HK. It’s the same principle that went into buying two of the same Abercrombie button down shirts, I.S.O. asymmetrical polos and Esprit jeans.

Getting this package today has gotten me all giddy about on-line shopping. This can be both good and bad. The bad part is that I’m now aware that I can shop 24/7 without even leaving the house.


The good part is that at least now I can say that – at least in terms of shopping on-line – I’m no longer a virgin.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh dear! I've been almost as bad too these past few days. Will post rin my purchases. heh!

Dazed and Confused said...

Yes, please do! This is what is called "Survival Shopping." We do it not because we want to, but we have to in order to make living here more bearable. Hahaha!