Saturday, May 27, 2006

Paul In Love

"Chi-chi brands" were never my cup of tea. My friends and I describe "chi-chi brands" as brands that are expensive mainly because of the brand name - not the style, workmanship, materials or crafting - just the brand name.

Brands like Omega, Breitling and Rolex, for example, are not "chi-chi brands" because their cost is offset by the workmanship, design and the technology that goes behind these watches. Versace, Louis Vuitton and Armani likewise don't fall in this category since their pieces are well worth the cost that anyone-in-her-right-frame-frame-of-mind-and-has-a-lot-of-money-to-burn would spend for a bag, sandal or a dress.

For the longest time, my impression of Paul Smith is that it's a "chi-chi brand." I've seen their shop in Glorietta, and admittedly, their button down shirts are nice. I like how he plays with bright colors and combines them with muted ones. But whilst their nice eye candy, I can't imagine myself spending P20,000 for a shirt like that. Simply because anyone can make a similar shirt - Bench, F&H, Oxygen - with the right colored fabric. Since then, Paul Smith was like an Ice Queen: nice to look at, but not something i'd approach.

Even here in HK, i've long ignored the Paul Smith section of Seibu and went directly to their jean bar to get my fix of Nudie, True Religion and G-Star Jeans. But while passing through this weekend, there was this particular black t-shirt that caught my eye from afar and called my name. It was a black t-shirt with colored stitching using a pattern like a kaleidoscope.


I decided to take a closer look, and then it happened. I immediately fell in love with the shirt! It turns out that the colored stitching held together some distressed diamond patterns, and this made up the shirt's design. The neck and sleeves of the shirt were all unhemmed, which gave it that very raw look. After fitting it, I knew it was for me.

By the way, it had the cute Paul Smith signature stripe added on the side of the shirt.


I fell so head over heels in love with the shirt, that it didn't take me long to decide on getting it in other colors. There was one in green, light blue and cream. They didn't have the cream one in my size, so I ended up buying 3, which is true to the "shopping three-peat" philosophy.


After this shirt love story, my feet brought me to the women's section of Paul Smith. There was a big SALE sign, and that's always a reason to look at stuff. My sister is very fond of tailored stuff, and I was hoping to get something for her. Actually, my way of easing the feeling of shop guilt is buying something for someone else whenever I spend on myself. If there's a shirt, skirt or dress that I could get my sister, that would rationalize me buying 3 shirts.

My sister will be very, very, ridiculously happy when see each other.

Was able to buy her two button down shirts. One is a sleeveless shirt in the usual bright Paul Smith colored stripes. What makes it interesting is that the edges are all unfinished, so there's loose thread dangling around. (Must be a recurring these in his collection since my t-shirt has the same effect.)


The other shirt was a brown striped shirt with this very interesting detail stitched onto the bodice. It was like a fabric trail that zig-zagged all around.


Then there was this candy-colored shift dress that begged to be taken off the rack and bought. Aside from the fabric feeling soft and sturdy, the neckline and back were also on the money. The cowl-necked front gave it a very soft texture, while the plunging back will give something people to look at after you passed by.


Another interesting bit is the ribbon on the shoulder. It reminded me of Charlize Theron's monster bow during this year's Oscars. Though this one is just small, so my sister can wear it without fear of blocking anyone's view.


Finally, I got her a skirt that looks better in person than in pictures.

It's made of the softest material and has that cute periwinkle color. The cut is very current, which is the pencil cut, with a long slit at the back. Wasn't able to take a photo of the back detail, but it had a very Levi's Jeans flap pocket that added oomph to the entire thing. The reason why I got this is because it'll go very well with my sister's favorite crisp, white, wrap around button down shirt.


In a matter of hours, my view of Paul Smith changed considerably. I've discovered that the premium he offers is sublte, eye-catching detail. Whether it's an unfinished hem, an extra piece of fabric, or the length of a slit, these little extras really help in making a piece of clothing not just comfortable, but well worth a conversation. He might not be the "chi-chi brand" I imagined it to be in the beginning.

No comments: