Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Airport Express!

For the past few months, i've been fortunate enough to master the art of fast check-ins at the airport. Today, on my flight back to HK, it took me 20 minutes to get from the airport gate to the immigration officer. This is a godsend considering the past few trips to Manila, i've found myself waking up at 4:30am and my flight is at 6:50am! Heck, i'm supposed to be at the airport 3 hours before my flight, and i'm still at home 2 hours before!

Of course, this mean feat cannot be accomplished without some very important tools and conditions:

1. Traffic - the great thing about taking the first flight out is that EDSA is still deserted and easy to maneuver. It only takes 30 minutes from Cubao to NAIA. Sometimes even less.
2. My CX Business Card - this office-issue card lets me check in using the often empty business class lane, eschewing the snake on steroids queue that's the number 1 cause of delay.
3. Pre-filled departure cards - good thing my travel agent always has a stash of those at their office. I usually as for 10, fill up all the important info and tuck them in my passport. That way, I lose no time in between check-in and immigratio.
4. Exact money - P1620 for the travel tax, P550 for airport fees - it pays to have the exact amount so as not to have to wait for people to look for change.

With any combination of these, one can easily skip the "3-hour rule" and skip the inconvenience of having spend an extra 2 hours waiting at the airport lounge. I think those 2 hours are better spent sleeping at home before the flight.

Or then again, to make life really simple, just fly PAL. Since they have their own airport, checking in is so much simpler. I remember one time, I arrived 45 mintues before my flight to Singapore, and I was still able to catch my flight. Now that's what I call "Airport Express."

No comments: