Saturday, May 20, 2006

Loot!

After a 7 hour flight delay in Chicago, my sister-in-law arrived in Hong Kong tonight. It's going to be a really short stay -- 3 days, then she's off to Distrito Federal in Mexico City for another meeting. I was asking her about how she handles the jetlag since she's in two different timezones in a matter of 3 days. And to think she just came from London!

She's definitely a "Ready-Jet Set-Go" kinda girl.

The last time we saw each other was December 2004, so we spent the first hour or so just catching up. She was also telling me about my sister's fashionista moments and shopping sprees in Atlanta and L.A. since they're still there on vacation. The best part of moments like these is the act of reconnecting with family - especially after over a year of not seeing each other.

Then the next best part is getting the Loot! Yup, my brother and sister were nice enough to send me some loot from the U.S. which made me all giddy tonight. I felt like a little boy getting his presents from Santa on Christmas day. It's very shallow, considering that my loot is made up of simple, everyday stuff. But hey, i'm admittedly very, very shallow!


I got leather slippers from Old Navy. Which is ideal since summer is fast approaching in Hong Kong. My sister sent me one in brown.

My brother, on the other hand, sent me something in black.

And a pair of Gap rubber slippers. I like how it isn't flat and there's an arch for the feet. It makes them really comfy.

Then there are my favorite American Eagle shirts. This is one of my favorite brands because the type of cotton they use for their shirt is very soft and light. Ideal for tropical weather like ours in Manila and in Hong Kong (3 months of the year, at least. The rest of the year I have to wear this with a jacket.)

When my brother gave me an AE shirt last January, it was a small size and he felt like it was a tad bit too big. So this time, he got me an XS, and the fit is perfect. American sizes are such a strange thing. Someone as bulky as me is actually an Extra Small in their books. Stran-jaaayyyy.

Of course, the Coke Loot from my sister-in-law who works at the Coca-Cola headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia. They've got a lot of funky shirts and apparel, and their boxer shorts are uber-comfortable. I think it's made of a blend of cotton and light fleece which makes it super soft and comfy all over.

The Coke bear, he appears on most of my boxer shorts. And he's beginning to grow on me.

Then, there's the Bath and Body works lotion. This brand has been my solace during the cold, nippy winter months in Hong Kong (along with Body Shop's Body Butter.) I like the way it just disappears into the skin, it's not sticky or sludgy at all. That's the true test of a good lotion, in my opinion.

Mango and Mandarin Orange! Two of my favorite fruits in one lotion. Yummy!

Aside from the loot itself, I also love the smell of the loot. There's something magical about the smell of things that are packed in a suitcase that came from the U.S. I wonder what it is exactly, but it's a very unique scent that has been a favorite of mine since childhood. It's got that comforting smell, much like freshly laundered sheets. Having been sent stuff from around Asia, Europe, South America, even Vanuatu, I can say with much conviction that nothing smells as good as stuff that came from the U.S.

Ah yes! The joys of getting loot. I'm probably going to be up until 2am just feeling giddy about it.

No comments: