Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Shanghai Surprise


Welcome indeed! It's been more than a decade since I was last in Shanghai, and a lot of people have told me to expect MAJOR CHANGES since it's been on the fast track to development the past few years.

They couldn't have been more accurate! For one thing, the airport has transferred from the old Hongqiao to the new Pudong. From afar, the Shanghai Pudong airport looks so fragile since it's has an all-glass look similar to HK's Chek Lap Kok. It's nice and spankingly new, although I find the walkways too narrow and tiring.




While all my colleagues told me to just take a cab from the airport to my hotel, I decided to travel like a local and ride the train. From the airport, one has to take the MagLev or Magnetic Levitation train. It travels more than 300km/h, so it only took us 5 minutes from the airport to the Metro station. Here's the "official photo" of the Shanghai MagLev:


And this is my amateur attempt at a photo using my uber outdated and very first digicam. Riding it was so cool because there were parts when it was a bit tilted to the side, so it was like a mini-roller coaster.


Unlike the airport express, the MagLev looks like a not very popular way to travel. The train was virtually empty.


Alighting at Long Yang Road, I took the Metro line 2 going to Zhongshan Park where my hotel was.


The Metro was clean, and it had English signs that really helped. What's peculiar was there were vendors and beggars inside the train doing their business. This reminds me of the Metro in Spain and France that not only had beggars, they also had singers and performers who'd do a song and dance routine in exchange for a couple of Euros.


Around 30 minutes after, I arrived in my hotel. The exteriors looked cheesy, and the neighborhood seems a bit too Escolta-ish for my taste. Like many big hotels around the world, the band was Pinoy! Ah yes, no one does covers as well as we do, eh? But admittedly, my room was nice and cozy.


It had this lounging area with big, comfy seats:


And a nice, gold mirror that reminds me of Astoria Plaza in Ortigas.



After settling in, I immediately looked for a 7-11 store around the area. There was none. Although there was a Family Mart, and it had that 7-11 look and feel. So I quickly darted in to see what goodies I can find.

I was NOT disappointed! I found my favorite potato chips - Lays - in exotic flavors!


They had the "Chinese Delicacy" line which had flavors like Beijing Duck and Crispy Pork.




Then they gave "International Flavors" like Swiss Cheese.

The things you can find in China, eh? As much as i'd like to try them tonight, I'm more tired than hungry so that has to wait until tomorrow.

Just 3 hours in Shanghai and i'm already overwhelmed with surprises. Now i'm really looking forward to my next two days here.

P.S.

DragonAir serves Haagen-Dazs in their flights! Now that's cool!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to go to Shanghai sometime soon, what with the glittering lights and the out-of-this-world architecture along The Bund. Some magazine has tagged it as the Paris of Asia. I wonder, still, what Shanghai has to offer beyond the Bund. Enjoy your stay!

P.S. Are those "big ideas" you were brewing over some Haagen Dazs?

NeiLDC said...

Shangai is a good place, although i havent been there,whoo its like you have the DA vinci code, oriental style... anyway. Madrid have the sounds inside and its was good to hear the sounds of it... its relaxing and entertaining!