Wednesday, June 13, 2012

School shopping

Despite the fact that it has happened several times before, I still get surprised when I get personal emails from people who read my blog. People I don't know, at that. 

Somehow, I'm still under the impression that it's 2005 and blogs were personal journals that other folks didn't have access to or read. But as Mark always points out, this blog is in the public sphere, so anyone can read it, as long as they have access to the internet.

I received an email today with a funny question. My blog reader asked if ever I buy anything for myself. She observed that I've posted so many entries about shopping for my sisters and friends, but she hasn't read anything about me shopping for myself.

Looking back, I think I've posted a lot of my personal shopping escapades, especially during my first year in HKG. There were a lot of posts about jeans back then, and there's that episode when I was trying to decide whether I should buy the Zara leather jacket. (Which I did, and I'm glad I did.)

So, in answer to that question, yes, I do shop for myself. Not too often, though. I usually shop for my clothes in HKG, which means I only do personal shopping once every 3 months or so. Maybe that'll change once Uniqlo opens in Manila on Friday, though.

As proof, I actually bought stuff this week. School is opening, and I decided to get some more "school-friendly" clothes after the Dean's talk last Saturday on proper dressing. In addition to that, they renovated the Deans' offices and they now have glass doors. This means they'll be able to see us clearly from their offices. Yikes!

Presenting my school "uniform" for this coming year.


Although they discourage denim jeans on campus, they didn't say anything about non-denim jeans. This pair from Forever 21 is made of the softest denim and comes in taupe - making it look like khaki chinos more than jeans. What's great about it is how incredibly soft it is. It feels like I'm wearing jogging pants.


Here's another staple I bought more of: chambray shirts! It's rare to find chambray shirts in nice colors here in Manila, so when I saw these two, I knew I had to buy them. They're light, airy, and more importantly, Dean approved!


With these purchases, I'm all set for school. Heck, I'm uber excited to go back to school already. Not because I have new pants and shirts, (how elementary school!) but because I'm teaching a new subject this year.

See, I do buy stuff for myself.

No comments: