Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Designer Expo

Going around Cubao Expo is always an interesting experience because of all the quirky shops within the compound. During our Father's Day lunch, Javier got a little restless and insisted on going outside and checking out the different thrift shops and looking at all the curios and collectibles.

When it was my turn to bring him around, we passed by this thrift shop that sold clothes. One of the pieces on display caught my eye. So, after lunch, I went back to the store to get a closer look at the dress. How close? So close, the dress went home with me.


The dress was an Alexander Wang confection in heather gray and black jersey fabric. True to his aesthetic, the dress had very clean lines, highlighted with draping, and some interesting details such as a fully exposed zipper at the side.


Truth is, one of the reasons why I gravitated towards the piece is because it reminded me of an Alexander Wang dress that Gywneth Paltrow wore to an event.


The dress I found in the thrift store is definitely a derivative of this one.


The next piece I found was this black, lightweight coat with elbow length sleeves. It had a lot of cute little design details that were a delight to look at.



First, it had printed, acrylic buttons in geometric shapes. It really popped out against the black. They look so cool!


But the biggest surprise was when I opened the coat and saw this:


The lining was 100% silk, and the pattern was so vibrant that it deserved a second and third look. 


Again, this vibrant pattern looked familiar, and upon closer scrutiny, I found out why:


It's a Pucci coat!

Whoa! Two designer finds in one cool thrift shop. This is enough to make me want to visit Cubao Expo more often.

No comments: