Monday, June 04, 2012

Color Story: Earthen Wear

Just because I'm fond of color, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the simpler, more neutral things in life. In fact, when it comes to colors, my personal inclination veer more towards Earthen hues. 

During my childhood, the crayons I'd often finish first were brown, flesh, yellow and burnt sienna. (Yes, I had the 48 crayon box with the built-in sharpener! Woot! Woot!) Most of my artwork would be in Earth tones because I find them very relaxing.

But just because they're neutral colors, this doesn't mean they're boring. When mixed together properly, it can be a very vibrant and chic combination. Take this outfit for example:


This ensemble uses 2 base colors - khaki and mustard. Separately, they might be drab, but combined, they can be very, very fab.

The top is a sheer, mustard blouse with floral prints in white and gray. Notice the absence of brightness in the combination. But still, the top looks quite vibrant and easy on the eyes.


The silhouette of the khaki pants are loose and easy, which works with the entire look. For a dash of color (just a dash, not a punch), there's a mustard belt to create continuity between the top and bottom.


To cap off the outfit with a much needed zing, add these Mary Jane wedges in dark brown leather.


It introduces another color, but one that's still within the family of colors used on the main outfit.


Put them all together and you have an Earth toned outfit that's out of this world.

Now who said neutral has to be boring?

No comments: