Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Burger and fries: The Oriental Version

A former mentor told me that I'm perfect for advertising because I respond to advertising. Whenever a new commercial comes out - especially if it's for food - you can expect me to go to the store or restaurant to try it out. Whilst many people say that advertising can jade you, it looks like I'm far from jaded.

On my way to Daily Supermarket, I passed through Chowking and saw the poster for their newest food offering. That same evening, I went back and ordered what can be considered as Chowking's answer to the burger-and-fries combination.


That is, of course, their Chow Pao and Chicharap Fries. 

The new product here is the Chow Pao. Which is really like a burger because it has all the elements of one. Heck, even the way it's packaged looks like a burger.


Their Chow Pao is available in 3 variants: Chinese Sausage, Braised Chicken and Braised Beef. Since they had no fish version, I just ordered the Braised Chicken.

I must say, they outdid themselves with this product. It's really, really, really good. The combination of flavors is just awesome. From the slightly sweet and very firm mantao bun, to the sweet and tangy braised chicken, to the crunchy veggies that top the main filling. Combine these 3 elements and you've got a burger that - in my opinion - can outburger any burger.


An interesting thing is that they have tofu in their veggies as well. So it's like having chopsuey in your burger. Conceptually strange, but flavorfully perfect.

I do hope that this Chow Pao isn't a seasonal product. Because I wouldn't mind ordering it every so often.

No comments: