Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Less is More

This afternoon, Rona sent me an email asking me about my thoughts on the Bayo Campaign which is currently a hot topic in cyberspace. Apparently, there's a big of brouhaha about it, and as usual, the on-line public has transformed into a lynch mob. They're dissing and kicking and screaming bloody murder about a fashion ad.

Actually, I've seen this ad before. If I'm not mistaken, it was launched last week, and they have the materials in their stores and in billboards along EDSA. These are some of the ads that I saw:



Honestly, I think the ads were okay. I got their concept about mixing and matching, and there's the underlying message of "Beauty in Diversity." This, as a concept, is clear, easy to understand, and is true to the category.

It's also a concept that I can relate to since I'm a Filipino of mixed heritage. Lolo Iking was part Spanish, and Lola Dita was part Chinese. This is actually part of the reason why it's difficult for people to place my nationality whenever I'm abroad or here in the Philippines.

Then, I saw this version of the ad on-line. I'm assuming that this is the "full" version of the campaign:


Alas, this is where it all goes awry. I think the copywriter went a little keyboard happy and just went on typing and typing and typing what he or she thought would be a masterful manifesto. Unfortunately, if you read through it, the copy is not only long and laborious, it's also confusing and condescending.

The fact is, Bayo is a 100% Filipino brand, and is one of the few brands that actually have their clothes made locally. In its past campaigns, the brand has always stood for Filipina and proud. Now, with this manifesto, it's almost as if they're turning back from their heritage of Philippine pride. It says:

"But the mixing and matching of different nationalities with Filipino blood is almost a sure formula for someone beautiful and world-class." 

So, does this mean that pure blooded Filipinos aren't beautiful and world-class?

Then, the second paragraph goes on an extended explanation about the philosophy of Bayo as a clothing brand, and it has nothing to do about the concept of diversity. So, these are two disjointed thoughts that they're force fitting.

Unfortunately, this force fitting is very much ill-fitting.

My two cents worth on this subject? They should've just followed the "Less is More" mantra and ditched the manifesto. Frankly, it's what ruined the campaign. Explaining something too much can sometimes do more harm than good. And judging by the backlash on-line, this manifesto was definitely more harmful for Bayo.

Should they scrap the entire campaign? Nope, I don't think they should. Again, it's a pretty decent idea and was executed well.

They should just remember that "Less is More."

No comments: