Saturday, June 09, 2012

Model Teacher

I've heard of teachers as models, but this is ridiculous.

Today, we had our faculty orientation for part-time professors and one of the items the administration discussed was the all-important subject of "the dress code."

Yes, there was a time when I was one of their favorite violators since I came to school in faded, tattered jeans and Chuck Taylors. I remember one of the deans telling me (in her colegiala accent): "I know it's bagay to you, but the other professors might imitate you and it's not bagay to them."

Now, as I've matured, I've become more compliant about it. I've lessened by use of Chuck Taylors and started shifting to Clarks. My faded jeans have now given way to dark rinse ones. ("Dark blue as the sky at night"is the official accepted color.) I've also started to wear khakis more often than usual. And my collarless Topman t-shirts have now been placed under chambray Oxford shirts.

Which simply means I've now transformed into the poster boy for "Preppy Geek."

Back to today's orientation, as the Dean was talking about the "acceptable way of dress," she said: "I know you want to wear jeans because it makes you feel cool and approachable to your students. But wearing faded, tattered jeans and rubber shoes isn't the only way to look cool."


The next part was the kicker:

She continued: "I'll give you an example. Lester, look at him. He's very cool, but he's not wearing tattered jeans and rubber shoes." (FYI: I was wearing khaki pants, brown Clark's and a plaid shirt.)

But does she stop there? No. She had to continue:

"Wait. Lester, why don't you come up here and show them how it's done. Show them what you're wearing. Model for us. You know, he has this beautiful pair of boots, but I don't think he's wearing it right now."

And even though I was reluctant about it, after seeing one of the male faculty members wearing jeans, a maong jacket and big, chunky gold jewelry, I knew it had to be done.

Hey, a teacher has to do what a teacher has to do.

No comments: