Sunday, April 15, 2012

Mixing it up

Mom is attending a wedding this April, so she asked me to dig up some fabric from the pile (better known as the archive) to see if there's something that would fit Joseph's brown and green wedding motif. Luckily, I found a vintage looking chiffon with floral prints, and I found beige soft tulle to go with it. Mom looked at the combination, and was very happy with it.

But before I got to that floral chiffon fabric, the first 3 fabrics I pulled out weren't anywhere near what Mom was looking for. Here they are:



They were seemingly different but somewhat related. It was an odd mix of textures of hard and dark fabrics. And they definitely don't have a place in a daytime, summer wedding.

The first one was a jacquard fabric with a linear pattern. It reminds me of Abel Iloko, which gives it an ethnic, tribal vibe.



It's a very stiff fabric, and it can actually be mistaken for upholstery fabric. But the color and pattern is so eye catching, that it deserves to cover more than just a couch.



The second one is a corded lace fabric in black, highlighted with gold thread. At first glance, it was giving me a "santo" vibe, since it looks like something that people would use to dress up saints. But upon closer scrutiny, I find that it's actually a very delicate lace that has a lot of possibilities.



And the last piece was a few yards of black charmeuse silk. And that's pretty uneventful when you look at it alone.

But that's the thing. After looking at these 3 fabrics, I think they're a bit odd when looked at by itself. But if you put together all 3, I think they make an interesting mix and can be combined to come up with a very interesting piece of clothing.



This is a job for Aling Bright. (And the sketchpad, too.)

No comments: