Friday, April 06, 2012

FMM: Good songs

Today is Good Friday, and it's actually one of my favorite times of the year. The city seems so peaceful, and everything feels as if the world is paused for a moment. No malls, no restaurants, no worldly distractions. There should be more days like this.

I went to Our Lady of Perpetual Help for the commemoration of Good Friday, and it was such a solemn mass. Well, except during the sermon when there was so much clapping as prodded by the Officiating Priest. (Who, by the way, I fondly call "Father Clapper" because he asks us to clap for everything.)

Whenever I hear mass, I miss the "old songs" that are sun in the church. When I say "old songs," I mean the church songs that they used to sing when I was in Elementary and High School. A few weeks ago, they sang "Pananagutan" at EDSA Shrine, and that was such a thrill since it's been ages since they last sang that song in Church.

Today, another old song was sung by the choir. It's a song entitled "Hesus na aking kapatid." Ever since elementary school, I've enjoyed listening to this song. Mainly because it has a beautiful message, and that is "Jesus is in all of us." In the lyrics, it states that Jesus can be seen in a farmer, in a person with tattered clothes, or those with muddy garments, and more importantly, in people who are humble in their service to the Lord. As the verse goes: "Ikaw Poon makikilala, sa taong mapagkumbaba."

(this very nice video courtesy of youtube. Credits go to the owners.)

Maybe there should be a revival of songs like these in masses. I mean, if there's Friday Magic Madness on radio where they play the best of the 80s, maybe they can do the same for masses. Sunday Magic Masses, perhaps?

No comments: