Wednesday, April 25, 2012

International School

For the past decade or so, I've been on the teacher's side of the classroom. And I really enjoy imparting knowledge, as well as getting insights from my students.

But this week was different. For the first time in a long time, I find myself sitting on the student's chair, listening to lessons on Gender, Sports and Media.

Because SSC played host to this regional learning event, I was given a slot and will play student for 2 weeks. And it really feels like being back in school. There are recitations, presentations, groupings, deadlines - everything I miss about school. (And I suspect, it's also everything my students dislike!)

What makes this class even more interesting is the fact that more than half of my classmates are foreigners. They come from as near as Indonesia to as far as Bosnia/Herzegovina. It's such a diverse class with different personalities, quirks and experiences.


It's been a while since I was last in a set-up like this, and I must say, I'm enjoying it. Whenever we have lunch or coffee breaks, I try to sit with different classmates so that I can get to know all of them before the 2-week seminar is done. 

Of course, there are some challenges to face while trying to do this task. First, there's the problem of language. Second, there's the problem that's more olfactory in nature. Harhar.

After being in this set-up for a few days, I think I now know how Mark felt in IUJ.  

No comments: