Saturday, March 03, 2012

Sweet surprise

Two Fridays ago, I held my last class for the Journalism seniors. On the agenda was finalizing bits and pieces for our final paper which, by the way, is looking awesome.

I made a quick trip downstairs to talk to the Dean's secretary, and when I went back to my room, this box was on top of my desk.



It was a nice box with an Ethnic motif. And I'm in that phase where prints interest me, thus, the box immediately caught my eye.



When I opened it, there was a piece of chocolate inside. Then, one by one, my students placed chocolate bar upon chocolate bar, until the box was filled with sweets.



These sweets weren't regular chocolates and candies. On each one, there was a post-it note with a message from each student. They were messages of thanks and apologies. The messages of thanks were about my mentorship of the class, and the fact that I really lobbied for them to go to HKG. The messages of apologies were for their lack of involvement and effort the past year. With every chocolate and message, I couldn't help but smile.



And of course, the biggest chocolate had the biggest message of all. A message that really solidified the thought that I'm doing the right thing as a professor, and that is helping change the lives of my students in the little ways I can.



What a sweet way to end the Journalism school year.

No comments: