Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mas Que Empanada

There's another reason why I find myself at Robinson's Galleria at least once a week. And no, it's not shopping related.

At the food court, there's this wonderful little stall that sells some heavenly fare. (It's bagnet, so if you have to take it easy or else the cholesterol just might send you on a one way trip to heaven. Harhar.)



It's a place called Bagnet Boy, and needless to say, their specialty is bagnet. But I don't eat bagnet, or pork for that matter, so what do I order there?

I go there for these big, orange masterpieces. The Ilocos Empanada. These wonderful snacks that's more than the usual empanada that you buy at Empanada Royale, Yumpanada and Red Ribbon. Compared to this, other empanadas are grossly inferior.



I've been a fan of Ilocos Empanada from the first time I tasted it in Vigan. Since then, I've always been on the look out for good Ilocos Empanada in Manila. The closest to these were: the one they sold in Tiendesitas (but you'll have to wait 20 minutes before you get your order), the Ilocos Empanada stall in Katipunan (okay, but not stellar), and the one in Banchetto. (The first time I tried it, the empanada was a bit soggy.)

So, I wasn't keeping my hopes up when I tried this one. That's why when I took a bite, I was in Empanada paradise! The grated green papaya, monggo and egg were blended so well and was so flavorful. The crust was wonderfully crunchy and you can eat it on its own - just dip it in the Sukang Iloko mixture. I kid you not. This is so good.



My only comment on the empanada is it tends to get a bit oily. The thing is, they re-fry it once you order, so when it gets to you, it's all glistening with oil. I just dab it with napkins to absorb the excess oil.

But other than that, this is the closest to real Ilocos Empanada in Manila. So, if you're craving for more than the usual empanada, here's the sign to look for.

No comments: