Sunday, February 19, 2012

Subic Sweets

One thing I like about shopping in Duty Free outlets is the abundance of imported candy brands that I don't normally see in Manila supermarkets. And a lot of these candy brands have a special significance to me because they're candy brands that remind me of my childhood.

These are candies that my grandparents or aunts would bring home from the U.S. whenever we'd visit. Or chocolates that they'd send over through family and friends.

It's been a while since I've seen (and tasted) these sweets, so I'm glad that I was able to come across them in Subic last weekend.

First, we have Tootsie Dots. I'm actually more used to the classic flavors, but I came across this Pink Grapefruit variant, and it's super delicious. I almost finished it in one sitting. (I knew I should've bought more!)



Next, we have Zachary's Chocolates. Compared to the Hershey's and Nestles of this world, Zachary can be considered a Mom and Pop operation. And that's why I like it so much. It tastes so authentic and you know the care that came into making each of these chocolates.



Finally, we have Milk Duds. Heck, who doesn't know Milk Duds? Enough said.



Now, I've got a stash of these sweets in the kitchen and I'm trying to ration them. But hey, I can rest in the fact that I can always go back to Subic in case I run out and get the craving for these candies again.

No comments: