Thursday, February 09, 2012

A host of possibilities

During family gatherings, I find myself being the default host.

My sister-in-law, Liz, who also finds herself in the same situation every so often, offers a few theories:

1. The bunsos are always seen as the default hosts. (Liz and I are both the youngest.)
2. UP people are naturally talkative, ergo good as hosts. (Liz and I are both from UP.)
3. Mass Comm graduates make good hosts. (I'm a Mass Comm graduate)
4. We're just talkative. (Liz and I are, that's for sure.)

I'm not sure which of these theories are accurate, but for some strange, cosmic reason, people always see a "host" when they see me.

While I've hosted a number of parties and events, today, there was a first in my "hosting career." I hosted a big school event, particularly, the Service Awards 2012.

It was a new experience for me. First, it's my first time to attend the Service Awards. (Heck, I didn't even attend the Awards Ceremony where I was awarded.) Second, this is the first time I'm hosting a school event of this scale. (The previous ones I hosted were just the send-offs and Christmas parties.) Third, it's the first time I'm having nuns as an audience. ("Tone it down," was the order of the day.)

And after all was said and done, I must say, I had a lot of fun. Joy, Liz, Rem, Rommel and I pulled off our hosting chores with flying school colors. Everything went smoothly, save for the 2 brownouts, and the audience (nuns included) had so much fun.

Post event, there were people approaching me and congratulating me for being a good host. These were people I've seen for the first time in my entire academic life in SSC. A couple of nuns approached me and gave me good feedback. One nun asked me if I studied in the U.S. because my English and enunciation was "beautiful." Another one told me that I was the "most elegant host" among the 5 hosts on stage. (What that meant, I don't know.)

So, I can say that I passed my first school hosting test. It might not have been an A, but I'll probably give myself a B+.

On my way back to the faculty room, our Computer Center head, Tonette, ran into me along the corridor. She said: "Sir, may hidden talent pala kayo. Ang galing niyo mag-host! Kunin ko kaya kayo sa birthday ng anak ko."

I think I see an alternative career somewhere here.

No comments: