Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Write Obsession

I'm a writer. I've always loved writing. I used to collect notebooks and pencils as a kid and wrote down every little thought that comes to mind. May it be a word, phrase, quote, even an image -- it always found itself on print. Even during the advent of the notebook computer, i'd still carry a regular paper notebook handy. Call it old school, but the feeling of ink gliding on paper is still more romantic than fingers typing on a keyboard.

It's been a while since my obsession for writing implements surfaced. It might be because my attention has been focused on jeans the past few months. But this week, my hunger for nice paper to write on started grumbling in my subconscious, and this weekend, it was time to feed the hunger.

I bought new notecards and journals this morning!



Crane and Co. is a brand that makes exquisite stationaries and cards. When I first got a complete set of monogrammed cards from Crane's, the writer in me just churned out notes and letters for family and friends. Traditionally, I should be writing those 100% cotton fiber cards with a fountain pen and ink, but since my calligraphic skills have long failed me, it was back to the Pilot Hi-Techpoint V5 in black. It works just as well.



This box of espresso colored cards immediately caught my eye because of its very rich color. I've long been a fan of dark brown, particularly ones with hues from the chocolate and coffee family. The tricky part about this is you need gel pens to write on them,, as the regular black ink would simply disappear if that's your ink of choice.



The teal colored edge added much oomph to these babies. In my book brown goes best with teal or pink. I've long wanted to organize a wedding with that color motif, though Filipinos think chocolate brown is too drab for a wedding. Upon seeing my combination on a note card, I knew it was a must-have. As early as now, the images of writing on these cards using gold ink is enough to bring tingles down my spine.



Then I bought this Moleskine notebooks for good measure. I know i've got loads of notebooks back home, but there's something about black, light leather covers and stickers with quotes from great writers that made me want to buy these. I feel transported back to the middle ages, and I can imagine the great writers and poets jotting down their thoughts in one of these babies.



Looks like my favorite jean stores have a new competitor in my "must visit every week shop" list. It's a wonderful paper shop called Papyrus.



I think i'm going to do a lot of writing tonight. At least it'll keep me away from Seibu and Lane Crawford, and the temptation of buying another pair of jeans.

No comments: