Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Had to Bee



Homesickness reached an alarming level. Wanted to log on to cathaypacific.com and get a last flight out of HK to Manila. Got antsy in my chair and just decided to step out of the office, grab some fresh air, walk the stress away and keep my mind lucid for the next few days.

Once outside the building, I was trying to decide whether I should go to Victoria Park, Ikea or HMV. Then I decided to ride the train all the way to Central, and indulge in something that will bring me back "home" even for a few minutes -- JOLLIBEE!

When I was first assigned here, there were 3 Jollibee outlets. Now, they're down to one - a branch in some god foresaken sidestreet in the middle of Central. Compared to all those delightful and vibrant stores in Manila, their store in HK can only be described as "sorry." Space is small, walls are bare, tables and chairs are unbelievably plain. The menu is another thing to rant about. Choices aren't as varied, they have no chicken strips, and not even Choco-Mallow Pie! (sacrilege!) Their palabok tastes odd, the spaghettti is soggy, and their sandwiches are microwaved rather than hot off the grill.

But then again, beggars can't be choosers. No matter how much I rant, this is the only place to go for "Filipino comfort food" that i'm familiar with. Ended up ordering Tuna Sandwich, Chickenjoy Pops and Fries. Thankfully, it was a weekday so the lines weren't that long and seats weren't that hard to come by. In fact, the place was virtually empty, which explains why my fries look like they've been sitting around the bin for the past 20 minutes. Chickenjoy Pops - microwaved and not fresh, Tuna Sandwich - a bit cold.

It ain't the best meal in the world, but hey, it feels like home.

No comments: