Saturday, March 04, 2006

Cool Chucks!

An unscheduled trip to Kwun Tong yielded one of the most fabulous finds ever! Metallic Chuck Taylors! I actually saw someone wearing a pair of Gold Chucks here in HK, and I was so tempted to walk up to him and ask where he got it. But that was rush hour and people were running about to and fro, so he skittered off without me being able to ask him. So it was a truly, truly pleasant surprise when I saw these bronze colored ones in one of my favorite haunts. The moment it caught my eye, there was no choice but to run to them, grab them and cling to them for dear life. Thankfully, they had it in my size! My only dillema was the fact that they were available in low cut and high cut styles. The sales clerk must have thought me insane because I was trying one on, then the other, then the other, then the other. It took me 5 tries and 5 trips to the mirror before finally deciding on the low cut ones. Aside from the fact that they're comfier, low cut Chucks are more versatile and looks better on jeans. After the bronze one, my eyes were suddenly fixed on this old style converse sneakers in deep red mesh. Again, it screamed retro, and brought me back to the days when Jack Purcell's were uber cool. I love red shoes, and when you combine the color red with a retro style, then i'm sold! And these babies are just so, SO sold! I can imagine wearing them with jeans or chinos, and they'll still look good. It has that laid back ease to it that reminds me of tennis games in the 70s. These will blend in well with all those Penguin shirts I bought. After Adidas and Zara, my shoe cabinet is now being invaded by a lot of Chuck Taylors. I now have them in 7 colors (and I have another 5 or so back in Manila.) I even have the black, leather Chuck's that were featured in "I, Robot." And if they keep on coming up with cool colors and designs, I wouldn't mind being a Chuck's man myself.

No comments: