Sunday, March 05, 2006

Koyo Cool

Koyo Jeans is a brand that i've seen a couple of times at LCX, and they also have a store near Senado Square in Macau. If memory serves me right, they also had Koyo jeans at People are People a couple of years back. Everytime Melvin and I would pass by LCX (where he loves checking out the Crumper Bags), i'd occasionally check out the Koyo section, but more often than not, they didn't' have anything remarkable. It's either their designs are too blah, or the quality of their denim wouldn't be too nice.

Then we decided to pass by today, and it gave me the chance to check out their Fall/Winter 2005 and Spring/Summer 2006. I'm sure glad that we decided to, because they've got a fabulous collection of jeans this season. And even if I promised myself not to buy jeans this week (yup, just this week), I ended up walking away with two beauties from Koyo.



The first one is a pair of jeans made of light, grayish denim. Instead of the usual metal buttons, it had a hook and eye for its waist closure. This alone upped its funky factor by 100 points. As Melvin said, it looked like something that came out of a fireman's jacket. Instead of the usual pockets, this pair had slanted ones, and it's secured by zippers. This gives the pair a very straight silhouette which is excellent because it makes me look taller.

Another big plus for this pair is that it had charms sewn onto the right side pocket. It ranges from crosses, airplanes, skulls, even a Versace-esque medusa head. This automatically sets this pair apart from anything I presently own. Also, it's a good departure from the patch/embroidery combination that's slowly filling up my closet.



The second pair is a stud! Literally. This pair of jeans had studs from the side all the way to the hem. And it travels across the twisted hem, which makes it visually interesting as it is visually flattering. And like a lot of my current favorite pairs, it has some little tucks and folds that add dimension to the material, and the wearer as well.



The waist is low enough to create the illusion of a longer torso, but it's high enough so as not to show any signs of the butt crack. I have a couple of low rise jeans that do just that (moon the audience) so i'm happy that this one won't add to that pile.



It has an interesting zip up pocket, aside from the traditional ones near the belt loop area. It feels like cargo pants, but it eschews the usual huge, flappy pockets. This pair gives me extra pockets without sacrificing the elongated shape of the jeans. And of course, the studs! The bronze studs just go on and on. It starts from the side, and reaches all the way down to the end of the hem. It gives it a bad-ass, rock star vibe without being too costume-y. I love, love, LOVE it!



These 2 pairs made me appreciate Koyo and see them in a totally different light in an instant! If they're going to come up with more jeans like this in the next few seasons, well then, i'll be expecting a lot more Koyo Jeans in my jean pool this year. I just hope my Energies and DSquareds won't be too jealous.

1 comment:

Somnambulist Nocturnal said...

I like the second pair! =)