Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A-flutter in Hong Kong

In the spring, a young man's fancy suddenly turns to thoughts of...

Butterflies!

Yup, it looks like butterflies are the recurring theme this season for a lot of Hong Kong retailers and companies. Just tonight, I noticed three different companies using these winged wonders as their main symbol. Earlier today, we saw the new Head and Shoulders shampoo commercial, and it also followed a butterfly theme.

The nice thing about this is that each brand intepreted the butterfly in their own way:

HSBC's new campaign renders the butterfly in its most realistic sense. In fact, they've filled up the MTR Central Station with 3D butterflies, and it makes for an awesome sight.



I've noticed a lot of tourists having their photos taken in this area, and it's understandable. Standing in the middle of this myriad of colors and wings does transport you to a world of fantasy. I guess everyone wants to have that "Thumbelina-moment" once in their lives.



If I understand it correctly, HSBC's campaign talks about catching your dreams. At the station walls, we see the continuation of the campaign which is a group of kids trying to grab a dream or two. It's very clever.

Swarovski, being Swarovski, renders the butterflies in colored stones. I haven't seen these accessories first hand, but if they're as gorgeous as they look like in the photo, i'll ask Tanya (who has a discount at Swarovski, woo-hoo!) to accompany me to the TST store so I can buy my Mom and sisters one each.



Harbour City goes all-graphics on their take on the butterfly. One look and it easily reminds you of Nokia's L'Amour campaign that launched a month back. Solid colors, flowers and vines, bold lines, and a simple finish.



My first thought after seeing these butterflies was "boracay tattoo." It looks like one of those stick-on tattoos, or a pattern that a person draws with Henna on your shoulder while enjoying the sun, sand and sea at Boracay. Nope, i haven't had anything of that sort done on me, but my sister once did, to the chagrin of my parents.



Personally, I love butterflies that's why all these campaigns are a welcome sight for me. Who knows, maybe in a week or so, we'll see Mariah Carey being hoisted up over IFC belting:

"Spread your wings and prepare to fly,
for you have become a butterfly,
oh, oh, spread your wings up high,
BUTTERFLY!"

No comments: