Friday, March 17, 2006

FAN-tastic lunch!

After walking about around North Point in search of a good lunch place, the gang decided to just go our separate ways. Vince and Keat ended up at Maxim's, while the Shigster and I went to good old Mickey-Ds for a dose of American junk food. This was good news for me because i'm really lovin' McDonald's and have been wanting to try their new Rice Burger. Since the branch near the office was packed with students, we decided to take our orders out. Presenting the newest offering from McDonald's Hong Kong. The "Fantastic Chicken Burger" or the new "Rice Burger." In Chinese, "Fan" means "Rice", that's why the product name is actually a play of words: "Fan-tastic" = "Rice-tastic". The Fantastic sandwich comes in beef and chicken, and since I don't eat beef, I ended up with this little baby. Instead of a bun, the fried chicken patty is lodged in between two lumps of bun-shaped rice. The rice/bun is made of glutinuous rice, gravy and mushroom, which gives it a very distinct and very pleasing flavor. It's just like eating machang, with less spices. The sandwich is garnished with 2 types of lettuce, giving it a "healthier" feel. Biting into this little critter is just like eating a complete rice meal rather than munching a sandwich. Imagine your ulam and kanin, sans the kubiertos. It's very, very convenient, very, very tasty, but very, very Atkins unfriendly. Initially, I didn't think i'd like it because i've tried a similar sandwich in Manila in the 90s in a place called "Rice Meal." (Pretty creative name, eh?) It was just awful! It was like eating week-old, coagulated lugaw which is never, never good. But when I tried this sandwich, I LOVE IT! The mix of tastes and textures are just right. And it's really a meal in a sandwich - giving "fast food" a totally new meaning. To wrap the meal up, I tried the Sweet Taro pie, which is pretty much like Kamote Pie. It was ok, nothing spectacular. I'd rather have Choco-Mallow Pie from Jollibee anytime. Thanks Ronald McDonald. I'm Lovin' It again, thanks to your newest burger innovation. I'm told that they plan to roll this out in Manila soo, and I hope they do. It's time to put the ghost of that mid-90s catastrophe called "Rice Meal" to rest, and make way for the new, uber Fan-tastic Rice burger from McDonald's.

No comments: