Friday, July 22, 2005

Moving out

After almost six weeks of living in front of the office, I've finally decided to move out today.

Joseph once told me that I really shouldn't unpack my clothes whenever i'm in a hotel. This was regardless of how long or short the stay would be. Of course, I begged to differ. Personally, the mere act of unpacking and arranging clothes in the closet is a way of "feeling at home" and "marking your territory" much like how a dog pees around the area he calls his own.

Between unpacking clothes and peeing around the area, the 1st option would definitely be more appealing, not to mention sanitary.

While trying to cram all my old and new clothes in the carry-on, the nostalgia bug silently crept behind me and bit me right on the neck. Things suddenly started to move in slow motion, and the thought of leaving "home" hit.

More than a physical transition - from the hotel in North Point to a serviced flat in TST - there was also the prevalent feeling of an emotional transition. I wouldn't just be leaving a hotel, I was actually leaving a feeling of security, comfort and consistency.

Security gets a "two thumbs up" rating when a person lives in front of the office. Whenever work finishes late, all I need to do is cross the street and home would be there waiting for me. But that's not the only security I'll miss. It's also the feeling of having this place to come home to whenever the antsy feeling takes over. Now that i'll be living in the Kowloon side, I have no more refuge whenever boredom strikes.

No more watching Oprah during lunch.
No more "Rock Star: INXS" live broadcasts in the morning.
No more 30 minute naps on a queen sized bed.
No more privacy when I feel the need to do "No. 2"
No more... No more... No more...

Comfort. Yes, it was such a comfortable set-up living in that hotel. I could get up at 9am and still be at work by 9:30. Whenever I got back, my room would be all fixed. There would be a new bottle of water waiting for me in the fridge. The towels would be neatly cleaned and folded. All I needed to do was put down my bag and enjoy the climate-controlled room with a great view of Kowloon.

I'm giving those up once I move to the serviced apartment. Now, the office will at least be 15 to 30 minutes away (depending on whether I take the MTR or the Ferry to work.) The maid only comes in 3 times a week (so I have to make my bed at least every other day.) No more water and daily newspaper delivered to me (good thing there's a Park and Shop around the bend.) The climate must be adjusted manually (since it's a manually operated airconditioner as opposed to the centralized one in the hotel.) And to bring up the depression rating up a notch, there won't be Star World in my place. (Good thing they have TVB Pearl, their "Desperate Housewives" episodes are newer than the ones in Star.)

Giving all these up will also mark the beginning of really living alone and fending for myself. Let's see how that plays out.

Consistency is something that is developed whenever you stay in one hotel for around 6 weeks. The staff know me by face and name. The same bellboy opens the door for me every morning, and when the evening shift comes, another familiar face will open the door for me every night. Even with my eyes closed, I can go up to my room. (After getting off the elevator, my room is the 6th door to the right.)

It's true when they say that some things become too much a routine that you begin to do it unconsciously. It like how I always turn left to get to the bathroom. When I'm in bed, I turn right to turn off the bedside lamp. I always put in the keycard to activate power, then leave my bag on the closet on the right side. These have been consistent the past weeks.

Now, i'm going to have to trash that and get used to something else. In this new apartment, the lamp is on the left side of the bed. The keycard is beside the door and not perpendicular to it. The bathroom has no tub and is on the left side of the room. I'm going to have to open my own doors with 3 very confusing keys. With all these changes, i'm expecting the first few days to be a re-learning experience.

Ah yes, changes. Can't live without them...

As I was wheeling my bag going to the reception to officially check out, my mind was playing back a list of things i'll miss:

I'll miss the familiar cleaning lady who always greets me: "Good Morning" and "Good Afternoon" then tries to make small talk in English.
I'll miss the "ring-ding-ding" sound that the elevator makes whenever it reaches my floor of destination.
I'll miss the fire alarm that consistently goes off in the middle of the night, causing panic to everyone in the floor.
I'll miss the routine of exiting the door, crossing the street, turning left, crossing the street, and entering the office building.

After giving my luggage to the Concierge, I took my final look back at the hotel which was my home for the past 6 weeks. Time to move out. And partly time to move on.

Then again, should I miss it, all I need to do is look out the window, and it'll be there.

No comments: