Sunday, July 10, 2005

Expanding the Jean Pool

My "Frendz" would probably be shaking their heads once they read this.

I love jeans.
I love jeans with a passion.
I love jeans with a vengeance.
I love jeans with all my heart.
And most often, my heart is worn on my hips.

Of last count, I think I have about XX pair of jeans. (I'd rather not mention the number, it's a bit shocking.)
I can talk about jeans so passionately, like it were an intellectual subject. (Which is why some people think I'm shallow and superficial.)
Jeans to me are like rare gems to a jeweler, a recently discovered fossil to an archaeologist. When a pair catches my eye, I touch the fabric, study each detail, look at the fit, and imagine how it will look on me.

I came here with only 2 pair of jeans: my Levi's Type 1 Jeans with the words "Strongest Thread" embroidered at the back, and the Levi's low waist Jeans that D' Frendz gave me for my birthday. (Thanks, Frendz, I really love the gift. Despite the fact that I had to ask for it. Harhar.) I thought I'd be content living with these 2 pairs until I get the other XX pairs over here in a month or so. But I was wrong.

In 2 weeks or so, I bought 3 new pairs. Three new babies that I open heartedly welcome to my family of denim. Let me introduce them to you.

1. Tough Jeans - A pair of dark denim with a 3D cut. The seams, instead of running at the sides, run in front of the jeans. Creating an illusion of height for the wearer. The back pockets are deep and has a buttoned flap - great for extra security. The coin pocket is unusually big, which is good for a coin collector like myself.
2. True Religion Jeans - A medium washed pair, boot cut, low rise. It has this distressed detail running from the upper thigh to the knee. They're mini cuts, but increase in size as it gets lower. The fit is perfect! Upon close scrutiny, I remembered that People are People had a similar pair, albeit their denim is quite inferior. But the design was a total rip off from T.R.
3. Bossini - A limited edition and excellent find which I stumbled upon at Granville. It was only HK$90, which is practically a steal. The inner tag said "super sexy fit" which was enough to convince me. But other that that, the jeans hug the hips in a very nice way, the leg is wide enough, plus, it had white leather details on the belt area. I'd pay more for this type of jeans, good thing I didn't have to.

And there you have them. The newest members of the jean pool. I'll introduce the new guys to the old boys just so they'll get to know each other and bond a bit more. Hehehe.

I promised myself I'd stop looking at jeans for the next month. Some type of moratorium to keep me from buying a new one. And believe it or not, I think I can. I know I can.

1 comment:

Dazed and Confused said...

Well I say: screw the bet! Go out there and grab the best looking, perfectly fitting jeans you can get your hands and hips on.

Girls are actually luckier because you're more spoiled for choices when it comes to jeans. People are People has tons of moderately priced, great fitting jeans.

If you want to go a little bit high end, U in Rustans has an impressive portfolio of foreign jean brands, including Mavi, My Little Big, Lucky, Miss Sixty, Hollywood, Doll house, among others.

But the best bang for the buck i've seen in a while is Bench's Super Low Rise jeans with the "Greenish" finish. The shape is flattering to most all body types, and there are little distressed details that give it character. The fabric itself looks and feels very expensive -- it has that "Diesel" vibe to it. And you get all that for a measly P649.75!

Now THAT is what I call a perfect pair of jeans.