Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Cerises Frescas

I miss eating fresh cherries.

The last time I did, it was in Amsterdam. I'd buy them at Albertcuypstraat, along with our usual ration of oranges, strawberries and grapefruit. Once, I bought a bunch of raspberries, thinking that it would taste pretty much like the Sconza Raspberry candies.

Boy, was I wrong. The taste was horrendous! I remember rushing to the trash bin to throw them away.

This morning, while walking to Wellcome to buy bottled water, I chanced upon a hole in the wall fruit stall. Aside from the usual Dragonfruit, and the mangoes which are described as: "Philippine Mangoes, the sweetest in the world', there was another fruit that grabbed my attention.

Fresh cherries!

Yes, they were a bit pricey, $38 per pound, but it was well worth the price. They were sweet, crunchy yet juicy, with very small seeds. The moment it touched my tongue and after I bit into the first piece, it was ecstacy! Needless to say, I was one happy guy come lunchtime.

McDonald's meal + Fresh Cherries + Oprah re-runs = happy guy!

I hope the cherry season here lasts long.

No comments: