Sunday, May 31, 2020

WATN: Can't get a (Strong)Hold of him

I'm a superhero nut.

I've always been into superheroes ever since I was a kid. From the mainstream heroes like "Superfriends," to the more obscure ones like "Super 6," to the ones that are a bit on the campy side like "Mighty Isis," "Electra Woman and Dyna Girl," and "The Greatest American Superhero."

I'm a superhero nut.

It's something I never really outgrew. That's why even now, I'd line up for films from mainstream heroes like the ones from the Marvel and DC Cinematic Universe. And even more obscure ones like "Kick Ass," "Paper Man," and "TMNT."

In 2005, there was a superhero comedy film which I really, really liked. It was a Disney film called "Sky High," and it was one of those hybrid films that brought together a coming-of-age story with a family-story with a friendship-story and a superhero-story.

Needless to say, I was sold.

SO SOLD.

So Sold that I think I watched it more than 10 times in 3 different countries. (I kid you not!)

This film had a powerhouse cast which included Kurt Russel, Kelly Preston, Cloris Leachman and - gasp! - Lynda Carter! Yes, the original Wonder Woman.

But the titular role of Will Stronghold went to this rising teen star named Michael Angarano.


Back in the early 2000s, he was one of those teens who had the chops to make it as "the next big thing in Hollywood." Heck, he was up there with Josh Hutcherson! (That's another WATN story, though.)

But as the 2010s rolled in, we started seeing less and less of him until - well - we didn't see him in Hollywood films at all. Which is a waste because he's a good actor with good comedic timing. He was even on "Will and Grace."

Maybe Disney should do a reboot of "Sky High" and have him as one of the professors this time. I'd definitely watch that movie again.


No comments: