Monday, June 01, 2020

WATN: But First...

Today is the First of June.

It's an eventful day of sorts. Not only is it the first day of the 6th month of the year, but it's also the first day of the GCQ, which means the Metro is slowly inching its way back to normalcy.

And since this is the First of June, I suddenly wonder: Where's FOJ?


FOJ or First of June is a all-girl group that was a hit in the 90s. They had an eponymous single which talked about their group's name, and the lyrics still ring in my head until now:

"F.O.J. is the name of the posse, 
rocking the house, we've got the ability...
Do what we want, do what we please...
Music is hot, so get on your feet.
Check out Benj, Alana and Teri...
We have the right, we have the authority..."

Yes, it was cheesy. But it was so much fun!

Kuya Ers and I were followers and fans of this group. In fact, we would watch the group when they would perform in Music Hall in Greenhills. Mainly because they were really fun to watch and had a lot of happy, poppy songs.

Later on, they were renamed "Vanna, Vanna" and still enjoyed considerable success after that. They had songs like "He Loves Me," and "Hurting Inside."

When the 2000s rolled along, the group disappeared. I think some of their members moved abroad, which led to the group disbanding. One of their members - Teri - continued on performing with the group U-Turn. And I remember watching her in Katipunan once or twice.

Since reunion concerts are a thing now (Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, etc.), maybe FOJ could do a reunion show here in Manila.

Kuya Ers and I would probably be one of the first to watch that, too.

1 comment:

Claire Mercado-Obias said...

Oh my...nakalimutan ko na sila but now I can hear their song playing in my head! :)