Thursday, July 19, 2012

Surviving snacks

Currently on my shelf are two snack items that I brought in from Japan, but haven't gone around to opening and munching on just yet. And considering the fact that most of the chocolates from Tokyo have been eaten, you can say that these two snacks are survivors.


The reason why I haven't eaten these snacks is the fact that they're very rare and I don't come across them very often. Actually, they're not in any supermarket shelf that I've visited. At least not the major supermarket chains.

First, there's Doritos Toasted Corn! (The exclamation point is part of the brand name.) This is the plain variant of Doritos and these haven't been on local shelves since the late 1990s. Back then, this was readily available and this was our default snack when we'd do our Masteral projects over at Ryan's place. 


After a while, though, it started to disappear in favor of more flavorful options like Cooler Ranch and Taco. Then, they were just gone. I came across this bag when Mark and I went out to buy supplies at Hanamasa. Initially, we just bought one bag, and we devoured that one pretty quickly. This other bag was supposed to be for consumption in Tokyo, but it ended up coming home with me to Manila. 

Second is this small pack of Beanaturals from Jelly Belly. All my friends know that I'm a Jelly Belly freak. It's one thing I hoard whenever I'm in the U.S. And there was a birthday when my friends gave me different Jelly Belly variants.



This pack I got at our favorite chocolate store in Ueno. This pack was surprisingly cheap! Plus, it had all the "natural fruit" jelly bean flavors. It's in a convenient pack, so it's easy to bring around. And to seal the deal, it has cherry and watermelon jelly beans. Two of my ultimate faves.

For the week or so, I've been fighting off opening and devouring these snacks in one go. Knowing that they're "rare" has given me that mindset that I should only open these two when I'm really, really, really craving for them. 

Goodness like these snacks must be savored, and I intend to do so.

No comments: