Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hit it, word!

Since Javier controls the television set in the living room, we find ourselves watching Disney Junior at any given day and time. In fact, I'm slowly considering myself as a Disney Junior connoiseur, rating each show based on their stories, educational value and overall watchability.

This skill actually comes in handy if you have friends who have toddlers. There are times when I would find myself discussing Disney Junior Shows with Mona, Vince and Bonique. On other days, I'd engage Becca in the same discussion and she would tell me her favorite shows.

Like Becca, I do have my own list of favorite shows on Disney Junior. And on top of my list is a show entitled Word World.




It's a very well-thought of and creatively executed show. Every character and location on the show is made out of the letters that spell it. Then, when they introduce a new item in the story, they spell it out first before it becomes that real thing. In one go, they teach kids about spelling and identification.

That's the best about this show. It looks like play, but there's actually a lot of learning involved. Aside from the word lessons, they also have a lot of life lessons. They're the usual Disney values of friendship, sharing, honesty, and all the basic moral lessons that kids ought to know.

The last time I felt this strongly about a show was when I was a kid watching Sesame Street. That show really made an impact in my life because of all the lessons it imparted to me - both phonetic, numerical and social. 

And I'm hoping that Javier will get these same lessons from this show. 

No comments: