Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Three cheers for teachers!

Today is World Teacher's Day. And it is but fitting for us - along with the rest of the world - to celebrate our teachers for the lasting impact that they made in our lives.

Mom was a teacher. She taught English at Catholic Central School in Tabaco before he married Dad. So it's no wonder that we all grew up with a good command of English - something we carry with us until now. (I've been asked by many Americans whether I lived or studied in the U.S. And my reply would always be, "No, but my Mom is an English teacher.) That was one of Mom's lasting impacts on us, as a mother and a teacher.

Because that's what teachers do. They leave an impact in our lives.

Whenever I look back at the lessons I've learned in life, I'd remember the teachers who taught me so much, both inside and outside the classroom. Teachers who taught me lessons such as determination, being passionate about excellence, fighting for what you believe in, coloring outside the lines, opening your imagination, being a good storyteller, singing with a head tone, always playing fair, bringing out the best in one another - all these and so many other character-building lessons that have molded me into the person I am today.

And now that I'm a Professor, one of my goals is to impart these same characteristics to my students. That aside from teaching them the principles of communication, the beauty of the written word, enhancing their creativity and being the future of Advertising in the Philippines and the world, I also teach them that all these are nothing if they don't have the right mindset and character that breathes life to these lessons.

Whenever I see my students graduate and excel in their chosen fields, and whenever we see each other and they thank me for being instrumental in their success, I also look back and thank my teachers for being instrumental in making that happen. And since I'm in the subject of looking back, I'll try to do a roll-call of the teachers who helped me be who I am today.

1. My parents - They really are my first teachers. And they continue to teach me things up until now.
2. Mrs. Sy - The principal of Learn & Play school who taught me that learning could be fun.
3. Ms. Clemencia Chi - My grade 1 teacher who always egged me to join contests because she saw so much talent and potential in me.
4. Mrs. Munoz - My grade 4 teacher who told me that I'm a gifted wordsmith.
5. Mrs. Padilla - My very understanding Grade 4 English teacher.
6. Mrs. Elizabeth Dizon - My Grade 6 teacher who felt me welcome in my new school.
7. Mrs. Vilma Ranada - My 1st year high school teacher who made me enjoy science even more.
8. Ms. Belarmina Dominguez - My 2nd year Christian Living teacher for enriching my understanding of God's love and Mary's life.
9. Ms. Elizabeth Aguilar - My 2nd year Filipino teacher who was so generous in sharing her knowledge and talent.
10. Mr. Walter Batoon - My 3rd year math teacher who helped me overcome my hatred and fear of math.
11. Mr. Ramon Quiazon - My 3rd year Economics teacher who asked us to do a commercial as a class project. That's where I realized my interest in Advertising. (Mr. Quiazon eventually became a client of mine.)
12. Ms. Teresita Colindres - My 3rd year Psychology teacher who bummed me out, big time!
13. Mrs. Elizabeth Verzosa - My 4th year adviser and History teacher who showered us with Motherly love.
14. Mrs. Bernadette De Leon - My typing teacher who I always mention whenever people complement me on my wonderful typing skills.
15. Mr. Victor Ortega - My music teacher who told me that I could sing! (He could be wrong, though.)
16. Prof. Jimmy Veneracion - Who taught me to wake up at 7:00am and actually like it.
17. Prof. Vic Paz - For making teaching seem so cool.
18. Prof. Anne Mabilangan - For making teaching seem so much cooler. And for always giving me a 1.0 on my papers!
19. Senora Bautista - For making me fall in love with my Grandfather's mother tongue all over again.
20. Frau Chan - For teaching me enough German to get by during my trips to Germany some years back.
21. Prof. Gorshkalev - For telling me that "Happy Birthday" has no translation in Russian because there's no "happy" in Russia. (Classic!)
22. Prof. Joel Cadiz - For the cold tokwa't baboy and warm Coke.
23. Prof. Chato Olivas - For helping me appreciate how law works in Mass Media.
24. Prof. Ben Domingo - For sharing his writing expertise.
25. Prof. Rollie Fernandez - For teaching me how to layout.
26. Prof. Edwin Varona (+) - For being like a father and grandfather, aside from being a professor. (I called him "Lolo" by mistake once. Ack!) And for welcoming us into his home and serving us a wonderful, home cooked meal.
27. Prof. Andy Sevilla - For teaching with passion.
28. Prof. Tessa Jazmines - For always believing in my creativity. She was the one who told me: "Pang-advertising ka talaga."
29. Prof. Cheche Lazaro - For telling me that my writing is "Probe-quality."
30. Prof. Elizabeth David - For her passion for perfection.
31. Prof. Elizabeth Diaz - For developing my eye for all things broadcasting.
32. Prof. Armi Santiago - She helped me rediscover my love for films.
33. Prof. Aleli Quirante - She brought us to Makiling and made me love Folk Media.
34. Prof. Evangelista - For scaring us into being excellent students.
35. Prof. Robin Soria (+) - For bringing out the educator in me.
36. Prof. Herminia Alfonso - Her infectious and unbridled passion for communication made me love my degree even more.

I know there are some more whose names I might have missed. I might have missed out your name (and I'm sure that I'll remember them later), but I'll never forget those lessons you taught.

Happy Teacher's Day!

No comments: