Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A taste of Saizeriya and MoCa

Because of its proximity to Japan, a lot of the brands there can be found in Shanghai. Among them are Family Mart (the very reliable convenience store at the ground floor of Shinjuku Washington) and Lawson. Then there's the restaurant that's an icon for the JDS group, Saizeriya.



There's one near the area where I stay and I told Mark about it. He asked me to try it out and see how it compares to the Tokyo one. So, this lunchtime, it was Saizeriya time. After lunch, I sent Mark and message and told him that the one here is a bit different. First, there is no "drink-all-you-can bar" and the bell used to call the staff also isn't there. The food is the same, though. But the price here is a bit more expensive compared to Japan. (Imagine that!)

After lunch, I went to get a dose of MoCa. Since the Shanghai Museum of Contemporary Art (aka MoCa) was just nearby, I decided to catch the on-going exhibit of modern art by Chinese artists.



There were a lot of interesting pieces: some were installation art, some were acrylic paintings, while others used the traditional ink and paper style that China has been known for. Among the artwork that caught my eye was this sculpture made of metal, resin and a lot of bling.



A painting that reminds me of Carrie Chau's work.



Cuddly bear gone metal, with matching chainmail vest.



One of my favorites, an installation and photography piece entitled "The Real Toy Story." It chronicles the life of Chinese working in toy factories, and has thousands of old toys surrounding the photos.




This one reminds me of the "dancing baby" that invaded the Internet a few years ago.



Lastly, a "Little Mermaid meets Kama Sutra" sculpture. (Claire will not be pleased.)



And after that hearty lunch and even heartier cultural treat, I left People's Square very satisfied.

No comments: