Monday, March 24, 2008

Wanderlust

Now that I have a bit more spare time on my hands, I've decided to pack my bags and go back to places I haven't visited in a while. Although I've been doing so much traveling the past years or so, traveling for leisure has a totally different vibe. Years back, I went backpacking around Thailand and reached places even "Bangkok-ians" haven't been to. My Thai friend even commended me for my bravery since some of those areas were centers of insurgency.

I've printed out my e-tickets today, so let the wanderlust begin.

During my past visits to Shanghai, I found the city unremarkable. Maybe because it was because of my age (was quite young when I first visited) or then again, it could be because my mind was on work. (All recent visits were work related, so there really was no time to immerse myself.) The first time I saw the Pudong skyline, my first reaction was: "This looks like a copy of the Hong Kong skyline."



Maybe things will change now that my trip will be a purely leisure one. Plus, I'm excited to see my friend who was recently promoted to be the chief of creatives at the McCann office there.

Then it's off to Joannah's baluarte - Singapore! It's been about 2 years since my last visit, and friends assure me that a lot has changed in the tiny city state. That may be true, but there are 2 major motivations for my trip this year: 1. Gardenia Fruit and Nut bread, and 2. Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia. (They discontinued it in HK. Boooooo!) I'm also thinking of sneaking a trip to KL. Going from one country to another by bus is something I haven't done in a while.



Back when I had a phlog, it was named "The Wanderer" because it best captured my hobby of packing my bags and going someplace new on a whim. Looks like the Wanderer is back.

No comments: